Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Oh, Maine!

Yesterday, it rained. All day. It was all I could do to keep Harper entertained. 

Around 10:00 a.m., she got bored with me and decided it was time to nap.. until 2:30 p.m.

I got a million things done.  And when it seemed like Harper would keep sleeping, I did another million things.

And then I sat.

Outside, the temperature was higher than it had been in weeks - but rain poured ceaselessly and in the balmy warmth and absolute quiet of the house, I missed Maine.

Last June and July, we were lucky enough to spend 7 weeks there.  I am forever changed by the beautiful things I saw and pace of life to which we adapted very easily.

Anyway.

One Saturday, we drove south to Freeport to do some shopping and on the way, a light drizzle of rain began to dot the windshield.

About the time we got out of the car, the bottom fell out and we spent 15 minutes under a tree with a baby who wasn't amused.



We made a mad dash to the car (probably the best part of Harper's day) and, soaking wet, we gave up.

We drove back to Waterville and put Harper down for a nap.  Great story, huh?

Well. . .

The next weekend, we went back.

The little town bustled with activity in the mild breeze and sunshine.

We walked all over Freeport,

ate lunch,



visited a petting zoo,


watched the fish in the LL Bean flagship store,



and shopped in cleverly disguised outlets.



And the people, oh.  They were so nice.

A sweet older lady even offered to take a picture of our family as we struggled to do it on our own.

After a lengthy tutorial on which button to press, multiple practice shots and her entire family making silly faces and noises to get Harper to smile, she snapped this priceless family portrait:


Yep. Just our necks and chests.

6 comments:

  1. hahahaha omg that drives me nuts! I try to be patient with sweet little old ladies, but my own 48 yr old mother is a techno-phobe and I constantly feel like Nick Burns computer guy when she tries to take a photo on the very user-friendly fancy Nikon I got her years ago (that she still can't upload pictures from and has to get my dad to do). "MOVE!"

    http://www.hulu.com/watch/19050/saturday-night-live-nick-burns

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I gave you an award that was given to me! If you would like to claim it as one of my favorite blogs check out...

    http://asuperworld.blogspot.com/2011/03/yay-for-my-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I long for another trip to Maine in the summer. It was a beautiful place, that's for sure! And the lobster...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maine is on my list of places to visit, and from your pictures it looks beautiful!! Your daughter is so adorable as well! I love the name Harper!

    ReplyDelete