Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Girl, do us all a favor and have a piece of pumpkin pie.

I frequent a website that showcases the latest in fashion and where similar items may be purchased more cheaply and I happened upon the obviously strikingly beautiful model, pictured below.

I stared and stared at this photo, thinking it must be photoshopped because her head is nearly as wide as her body and I wondered if she's healthy.  On this, the eve of a day of thanks, pilgrims, indians and tryptophan, I have to wonder if she would have survived a trip to the 'new world' and subsequent harsh winters. Would those legs really even hold her up in a strong wind?



I swear, I've never been a hater of the skinny. I earnestly strategize about how to make it through the holidays without gaining any weight because the average woman packs on 7 to 8 lbs between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I figure if I don't gain any, I'm ahead of the curve muffin top. I also purchased a fantastic piece of shapewear today, but that's neither here nor there.

I've always rolled my eyes when the fashion industry is criticized for its glamorization of thin women. Skinny is a job requirement and if people don't like it, they don't have to buy the clothes.

But...then I had a baby girl. When I look at her, I don't just see my cherubic 17 month old.  I see her future.  ...her first day of kindgergarten, her first date, her first broken heart, college graduation, jobs, Brandon walking her down the aisle, my grandchildren...

When I look at current advertisements, I hope I'm not seeing a future of unhealthy expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment