Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

The one where my most favorite pregnancy craving is ruined forever.

1. I hate it when people crunch ice with their teeth! Other than someone chewing with their mouth open, I can not think of a more intolerable offense. Except maybe people who chew ice with their mouths open. Intolerable = I'd just as soon jump out of a moving automobile as listen to it.

I'll move on now.

2. Strangely, in my third trimester, I crave ice*. Terribly. Like it's going out of style. Maybe two cups a day, but that's two more cups than I'd ever consider in a non-pregnant state. Two more cups than I'd punch someone for eating in a non-pregnant state. Thank the sweet Lord it doesn't bug Brandon like it bugs me.

3. I am positive that it tastes better than any actual 'food' that exists, which lets me know that I am truly crazy. A few nights ago, I lamented my station in life as I pulled from the oven a Pyrex of saucy burritos. . . .because what I really wanted for dinner was a huge cup of that ball-y shaped ice (you know..the kind at BBQ Hut in Fayetteville?) and a Blow Pop. REALLY.

4. My desire went to a strategic, desperate and ..unfortunate place yesterday, when I found out that the nearest Sonic is in Baltimore. . .which made me audibly cuss, because I had already called Chick-Fil-A. They don't have the ball-y ice. I won't even talk about how that conversation went. ...a lot like this, actually:



5. So I Googled "Fast Food Crunchy Ice" thinking, surely, someone has blogged about it or created a website.

6. My search results yielded only horror - In 2006, Good Morning America interviewed a little girl who did a science fair project on the cleanliness of fast food ice. Turns out, it's 70% dirtier than the toilet water in the same restaurants. E.coli included..for free! B/c the machines are never cleaned. B/c dirty hands scoop it out. I die.

7. Here's the link: Commode Ice

8. Don't read it.

9. Especially if you're a crazy pregnant person who happened upon my blog because you, too, have an insatiable and irrational craving for ice.

10. Unrelatedly, b/c I couldn't squeak out a decent #10: While I'm on the subject of fast food, why does KFC force you to say the words "Breast Meal" when ordering it? Why can't they just mercifully assign it a number? I can never get that out without at least cracking a smile. Seriously, "Breast Meal with two sides?" lol. Gah.

*No. I'm not iron-deficient. Just crazy.

4 comments:

  1. Zaxbys has that ice :) the one here at least... My son loves chewing ice. Everytime we go to grandmas house he has to have a cup. I dont believe he is iron deficient either bc he only wants it at grandmas... Also, if there was that much E.Coli in ice I would think lots more ppl would get sick?! Sounds gross, but I wouldn't let it bother you. Eat the ice and enjoy a few more weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need a Snoopy Sno-Cone maker. I got one for my husband last Christmas. Perfect little balls of ice, right from your own (e.coli free) freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh, I crave ice in the worst way. When pregnant with my daughter, I worked at a hospital and was never far from an ice machine on top of that I would devour 2 10lb bags of ice from sonic every week? Drove my husband insane. Now I crave it and I only want the bags of ice you buy nothing that my freezer makes. You are not alone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craving ice could be a sign of anemia.....here is a link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chewing-ice/AN01278

    By the way, I like your blog! =)

    ReplyDelete